Pennsylvania has signed an Interstate Agreement with other states/jurisdictions based upon the mutually agreed-upon conditions of that contract. The Interstate Agreement pertains to instructional areas only. All other certifications (education specialist, supervisory, administrative, etc.) must meet all requirements set in the Program Specific Guidelines. In order for this Bureau to evaluate an application using the Interstate Agreement, the candidate must provide verification that he/she has:
- Been awarded a baccalaureate degree.
- Completed a state-approved teacher education program, including a supervised student teaching experience, leading to a comparable or broader certificate in the member state.
- Received the recommendation from the certification officer at the college or university on an application form designated by this Bureau.
- Complied with all ancillary requirements, including Pennsylvania tests and 3.0 GPA. Six credits in math and six credits in English are also required for full certification. Refer to Important Certification Requirements.
- Met all Pennsylvania requirements related to citizenship as well as moral, ethical and physical/mental fitness.
It should be noted that candidates for Pennsylvania Instructional certification must complete all the Praxis tests required by Pennsylvania unless verification is submitted of three (3) years of teaching on a fully-issued comparable state-issued certificate within the past seven (7) years. In those cases, the candidate must take and pass the appropriate Praxis content area test.
Candidates who possess a valid and comparable (in subject and grade level scope) certificate issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards will be issued a Professional Instructional II certificate. The applicant will not be asked to complete any additional requirements for that certificate, including Praxis Series tests.
The following sections of the Interstate Agreement have not been signed by Pennsylvania:
Alternative preparation or alternative certification
Certification and experience without having completed an approved program
Vocational, educational specialist, administrator or supervisor.
Further information on the Interstate Agreement can be found at NASDTEC.