Adding a Subject Area to an Existing Instructional Certificate (Add-on by Test Only)
- Must hold an Instructional (type 60, 61, 62 or 80) or an Intern (type 51) certificate and be adding an Instructional or Intern area. Instructional areas cannot be added to Vocational certificates.
- Excludes: Cooperative Ed, all Special Education areas, Health and Physical Education and any Instructional subject for which there is no test or "no qualifying score."
Note: World Language candidates taking an American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) test for the language must achieve a minimum of Intermediate High on both the oral and written ACTFL assessments.
- Must take and pass the appropriate subject area content test prior to submitting an application. Candidates must meet the qualifying test score based on a 3.0 GPA, because an add-on does not require a preparation program and no overall GPA is earned. Therefore, the GPA-Qualifying Praxis Score policy is not applicable for Instructional add-ons via testing.
- Applications must be submitted to the Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality through the Teacher Information Management System (TIMS).
- All applicants must certify (in TIMS) they have read and will abide by the Code of Professional Practice and Conduct for Educators.
For additional information, please contact:
Division of Certification Services
Pennsylvania Department of Education - School Leadership and Teacher Quality
333 Market Street | Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333
Certification, Application or Technical Questions - Please submit a Help Desk Ticket.