The purpose of the "Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Improvement Act of 2006" is to develop more fully the academic and career and technical skills of secondary education students and postsecondary education students who elect to enroll in career and technical education programs by:
- Building on the efforts of states and localities to develop challenging academic and technical standards and to assist students in meeting such standards, including preparation for high skill, high wage, or high demand occupations in current or emerging professions;
- Promoting the development of services and activities that integrate rigorous and challenging academic and career and technical instruction, and that link secondary education and postsecondary education for participating career and technical education students;
- Increasing state and local flexibility in providing services and activities designed to develop, implement, and improve career and technical education, including Tech Prep education;
- Conducting and disseminating national research and disseminating information on best practices that improve career and technical education programs, services, and activities;
- Providing technical assistance that promotes leadership, initial preparation, and professional development at the state and local levels; and that improves the quality of career and technical education teachers, faculty, administrators, and counselors;
- Supporting partnerships among secondary schools, postsecondary institutions, baccalaureate degree granting institutions, area career and technical education schools, local workforce investment boards, business and industry, and intermediaries;
- Providing individuals with opportunities throughout their lifetimes to develop, in conjunction with other education and training programs, the knowledge and skills needed to keep the United States competitive.
If you have any questions please contact your Perkins regional representative:
Eastern Region - Monique Williams - 717-346-3188 or email@example.com
Central Region - Cynthia Gross - 717-772-4864 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Western Region - Vacant
Perkins Coordinator - Monique Williams - 717-346-3188 or email@example.com
Perkins IV 2013-2014 Allocations
Perkins IV 2008-2013 Supporting Documents
Pennsylvania Workforce Development Information
Perkins Regional Workshop Information
Q&As Regarding Special Education Students Enrolled in Career and Technology Centers (PDF) - Department of Education staff members received numerous inquires from intermediate units (IUs), school districts, and career and technology centers (CTCs)regarding special education requirements for special education students enrolled in the CTCs. Bureau of Special Education and Bureau of Career and Technical Education staff developed a series of questions and answers to address the responsibilities of the resident district and the receiving CTCs and area vocational-technical schools. The questions and answers pertain to the placement of special education students, the provision of special education programs and services, and other topics.
You can access the questions and answers on PaTTANs website at http://www.pattan.net/regsforms/QuestionsandAnswers.aspx. If you have questions about these requirements, please contact Frank DiNatale at (717) 783-6981 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or Malcolm Conner at (717) 667-3153 or (717) 425-5442 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
PennLink addressing access to career and technical education for ALL students (PDF)