Testing Requirements in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania requires assessments of all candidates in basic skills, general knowledge, professional knowledge and subject area knowledge before a certificate may be issued to an applicant. In this section, you will find the most current information on the test rules, the specific tests required for certification, minimum scores for passing, alternative methods of scoring, advice on preparing for the tests and links to register. Links are also provided at the end of this page to the Student Teacher Assessment information and forms.
Attention Candidates for Certification in:
· Communications (test code 0800) ends June 2014. Candidates may take Speech Communication: Content Knowledge (5221) assessment beginning July 1, 2014. There is no impact on the programs or certification in this area.
· Cooperative Education (test code 0811). The deadline is extended until June 2016 with limited test offerings after June 2014. Look for a separate link on the www.ets.org/praxis Pennsylvania page. We have found a vendor to develop a new test and expect it to be available by 2016, but cannot guarantee it.
· Environmental Education (test code 0831). The deadline is extended until June 2016 with limited test offerings after June 2014. Look for a separate link on the www.ets.org/praxis Pennsylvania page. No replacement test is available. Other science certificates may teach this subject.
· Safety/Driver Education (test code 0860). The test was discontinued by ETS. The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) will administer the test in 2015. Details are not available. Please check back in the new year for updated information.
· Social Science (test code 0951) was discontinued in June 2014. This certificate may be granted to qualified individuals who already passed the test. No replacement test is available. Interested candidates should pursue Social Studies certification.
- Testing Requirements by Certificate Type (PDF) - Updated October 2014 Also refer to Certification Testing and Scores below.
- Instructional I Certificate
- Educational Specialist Certificate
- Administrative Certificate
- Vocational Certificates
- Instructional Add-Ons
- Certification Testing and Scores (PDF) - Updated August 2014 Also refer to Testing Requirements by Certificate Type above.